ABOUT HOOD (www.hoodengineering.com)
Hood Engineering & Technical Services is a privately owned, full-service Engineering, Procurement and Construction Management company operating primarily in the Energy, Petrochemical and Manufacturing sectors.
At Hood, we strongly believe that our employees are the key driving force behind our success. We understand that a successful business stems from employee engagement, and we provide our Hoodlums with an energetic, collaborative and fun work environment built on open communication and respect.
Are you motivated by self-improvement, integrity and a commitment to excellence? We are looking for Hoodlums who will manage their career development and directly contribute to Hoodís sustainable and dynamic growth.
The Mechanical Discipline Lead will provide the engineering team with project management support. This individual is expected to not only have a specialization in mechanical engineering but also have a highly adaptable background in understanding the other disciplines of engineering. The mechanical discipline lead is someone who will make independent decisions within their own sphere, and exercise technical authority over a group of engineer specialists.
Responsibilities will include consultation for best practices in engineering design, project development, liaising with clients, contractors and other engineers, a high-level of knowledge for the use of appropriate construction methods, selection of materials, site selection (geology and surveying) and time-lines required for various engineering projects while adhering to budgetary constraints.
EXPERIENCE AND ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS
- Graduate of a recognized university with a Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering discipline or equivalent.
- Professional Engineering designation with APEGA or equivalent.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in mechanical engineering field, preferably with an EPC company.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive professional project management, project engineering or discipline engineering in the oil and gas or related industry.
- Expertise in piping design and materials which are in accordance to oil and gas projects in Western Canada.
- Working knowledge of oil and gas industry codes and standards, including CSA, ASME, and API.
- Experience in piping stress analysis, would be an asset.
- Experience with various rotating equipment, such as compressors, gas/steam turbines, pumps, Compressors and pumps seals, and special purpose rotating equipment auxiliary systems would be an asset.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite programs used to create reports and documents.
- Develop and direct project plans with the Manager of Engineering, ensuring that project budget, schedules, and requirements are met.
- Lead and support the mechanical engineering team with the goal of maximizing performance and efficiency.
- Follow Hood Groupís Project Management Process (PM) and play an integral part in accepting or declining new projects.
- Delegate engineering work to members of the mechanical engineering team.
- Support growth of the team and the company through identifying potential new clients, and culturing new client relationships.
- Liaise with clients as a representative of Hood Group and maintain relationships which will enhance business.
- Coordinate projects with other engineering and design discipline teams.
Attend project meetings.
- Develop, implement, and maintain existing and new design standards, guides, and procedures.
- Respond to NCRs (Non-Compliant Reports).
- Identify potential project opportunities and communicate back to Hood.
- Create proposals and responses to RFIs (Requests for Information).
- Communicate change orders.
- Contribute to sales forecast.
- Review stamped and finalized drawings including P&IDs, piping plans and sections, and isometrics.
- Accountable for Project Managers under your discipline.
- Ensure that software used is up to date and assist in the purchase of new software.
- Provide technical support and mentorship to members of team.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Client service orientated
- Analytical thinker and high attention to detail
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Mentoring skills
- Proficient at risk, results, and stress management
- Team leader and strong ability to work in a team
- Takes initiative
The job is performed in an office environment, but site travel may be required depending on the project. Hood offers flexible hours, career growth opportunities, mentorship and a variety of social events, and has been recognized as one of Canadaís Best Small and Medium Employers. Come be a proud Hoodlum today!