Fitness and Sports Instructor
Personnel Support Programs
The anticipated Term of this position is 6 months
Under the supervision of the Fitness and Sports Director, the Fitness and Sports Instructor instructs physical fitness training sessions and conducts physical fitness evaluations for apparently healthy populations. He/she instructs and advises military personnel in accordance with the Canadian Forces physical fitness program standards. He/she also performs lifeguard duties, inspects physical fitness equipment and initiates corrective action, as well as assists in the organization and delivery of local B/W/U and regional sports competitions and with administrative duties for fitness and evaluation programs.
- Bachelorís degree in Physical Education, Exercise Physiology, Exercise Sciences or a related field AND some years of experience in physical fitness evaluation and prescription or in a related field
- College diploma or certificate in Physical Education, Exercise Physiology, Exercise Sciences, or a related field AND several years of experience in physical fitness evaluation and prescription or in a related field
- An acceptable combination of education, training, and/or experience will also be considered
- Current CPR and Basic First Aid qualifications
- Current National Lifeguard Service (NLS) Certificate
- Current Certified Personal Trainer (CSEP-CPT) qualification
- Canadian Forces EXPRES Test - Incentive Level
- Successful completion of the Personnel Support Programs (PSP) Instructorís Course by the end of probation
Language Requirement: English mandatory
- Of physical fitness programs, standards, and evaluation protocols
- Of physical fitness instruction techniques
- Of health and physical fitness theory delivery
- Of aquatic and water safety programs
- Of the rules of at least three sports such as soccer, volleyball, basketball, racquet sports, and hockey
- Of injury prevention
- Of loss prevention
- In preparing and conducting physical fitness training sessions
- In instructing health and physical fitness training modules
- In applying policies, procedures, and regulations
- In evaluating physical fitness
- In aquatics such as life guarding or swim instruction
- In officiating at least three sports such as soccer, volleyball, basketball, racquet sports, and hockey
- In coaching sports
- In using software for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases, e-mail, and Internet browsing
Successful candidate will be prepared to commence employment as soon as possible.
NPF employees must demonstrate the following core characteristics: team player, customer focus, positive attitude, excellence, and competence.
NPF is committed to employment equity. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities. Those who need employment accommodation in the hiring process (i.e. an accessible location, rescheduling of interviews that fall on religious holy days) or those needing job postings in an alternative format, may contact the NPF Human Resources Manager. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.