As a multinational life insurance company, Company and its subsidiaries are exposed to tax legislation in a number of jurisdictions. The Corporate Tax department coordinates and provides direction to the global tax function.
Reporting to the VP Investment Taxation, the AVP Investment Taxation will be responsible for the evaluation of international investments to support Canadian and Asian operations within the organization. In addition, this position will be responsible for monitoring developments in Canadian tax legislation and analyzing their impact on Company's investment strategies and operations. You will also act as functional lead in supporting tax planning and analysis.
• Provide expert counsel on private debt and private equity investment proposals (including company models, term sheets, investment structures, legal documents, etc.) regarding their tax implications for the Company. Determine recommended tax treatment, research and document the tax treatment for the investments to optimize after-tax return for the Company.
• Evaluate Canadian foreign affiliate tax implications for investment proposals; determine optimal risk management in addressing tax implications.
• Drawing on in-depth understanding of Canadian life insurance tax rules, identify and recommend actions to mitigate issues associated with tax rules and their impact on Company returns. Review the tax treatment for various types of assets (e.g., bonds, equities, mortgages, real estate) under the life insurance, company institution and investment fund rules.
• Liaise with outside tax advisors in Asia, evaluate and document investment strategies for the Asian operations and provide internal tax support for the Investment Division with respect to its initiatives for Asia.
• Evaluate the tax implications for alternative legal arrangements to provide investment management services to internal and external clients.
• Evaluate cross-border tax implications for investment activities and recommend appropriate operational procedures to minimize tax burden.
• Keep abreast of proposed and new Canadian tax legislation, assess its impact on the organization and recommend actions to optimize after-tax results.
• Provide tax planning expertise to the Investment Division and other functional areas to support their operational and strategic initiatives.
• A Chartered Accountant with minimum of 8 years of Canadian corporate tax experience including completion of the CICA In-Depth Tax course.
• Knowledge of company institutions and company products a plus.
• Strong research and analytical skills as well as the ability to analyze complex company problems with attention to detail.
• Ability to work effectively across divisional lines and with people in foreign jurisdictions.
• Excellent organizational skills (ability to deal with multiple and competing priorities).
• Good verbal and written skills.